How to add and synchronize lyrics
Once verified, artists or their representatives can add their lyrics to our database. After adding (editing/transcribing) those lyrics, they are then ready to be synced.
Important: if you want to outsource the lyrics editing to our expert curators, please check our plans.
Step 1: Transcribing Lyrics
In both cases a Spotify Premium Account or the audio file of your song are required to add and sync the lyrics.
To ensure that your synced lyrics will be smoothly distributed to all the digital streaming platforms we partner with, all transcriptions must be completed according to our Transcribing Guidelines. Please make sure to check them out.
A) Add lyrics from the Musixmatch Pro webpage or the Musixmatch Pro App
From your roster, select one of your verified artists and click on the song you want to edit
(Please note that a Spotify Premium Account or the audio file of the song are required to add and sync your lyrics in this way with the Android Phone. If you are transcribing lyrics from your mobile device, make sure you are logged in from your verified artist's account)
Notes for transcribing lyrics
Type the correct words as you hear them in your song
- Listen to the song from a reliable audio source as you transcribe
- Only add lyrics you have transcribed yourself
- Transcribe all repeated parts in a song
- Transcribe the lyrical audio content only
Do's and Don't
- Do - Always listen to the entire song while transcribing
- Don’t - Copy and paste from other sources
- Don’t - Use multipliers (e.g. avoid x2)
Step 2: Sync Lyrics
Set the vocals in time with the music
There are two sync modes you can choose to contribute: the line-by-line sync and the word-by-word sync. For line-by-line you can manage this on either your Musixmatch for Artists Webpage or via the mobile app. Please note that the word-by-word sync can only be done via the mobile app. Please also make sure that the sync duration match very nearly the Spotify audio source.
A) Sync lyrics
- After transcribing your lyrics click on the 'Sync' tab
- Click the arrows to select the correct timing for each line of lyrics while listening to the track
- Make any time adjustments with the plus or minus signs to the left of the phrases
How to sync: Line-by-Line
- Set the timing to the first sung letter for each line, or less than a half-second before
- When there are no lyrics for longer than 5 seconds, insert the instrumental label, then sync the line.
- Verify the accuracy (by playing each line) and readjust the timing (fine-tuning)
How to sync: Word-by-Word
This feature is only possible on the community mobile application. Sync lyrics word-by-word by swiping your screen to highlight the lyrics in time with the music. You can edit the sync by clicking ‘Back’ to return to the previous line.
Do's and Don't
- Don’t - Sync a line or word in delay
- Don’t - Start the song with an instrumental label
- Do - Correct the sync if you’ve made a mistake
- Do - In the case of multiple voices and choruses, sync the main vocals
- Do - Please also make sure that the sync duration match very nearly the Spotify audio source.
- Do - Don't forget to sync also the "End of lyrics" line
Here is an overview about the supported browsers and streaming services to add and sync your lyrics.